PROGRAM INTERN POSITION – PAID, full-time, non-exempt
This summer, discover the inspirational rewards of working in a creative non-profit environment at a busy midsize arts education organization with the mission to prevent and intervene in youth violence by involving youth and their families in ongoing, high quality, standards-based, multidisciplinary arts education workshops
Learn all aspects of working with a non-profit arts organization with a 30-year history of success, and assist in designing and implementing Artist-In-Residence programs for at-risk youth from start to finish.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Future arts leaders and advocates will gain meaningful on-the-job training in a successful nonprofit arts education organization through the Theatre Of Hearts/Youth First Programming Internship. By the end of the 10-week internship, students will better understand the role of the arts in the community, and how to design and implement standards based quality performing arts education programming. Interns will create a positive impact in fulfilling our mission, to prevent youth violence by involving youth in multi-disciplinary arts workshops offered throughout Los Angeles County. This internship will provide direct experiences leading to the development of skills necessary for professional success in an arts education or arts administration career.
PLEASE NOTE: This is a program/administrative position, NOT a teaching position.
CANDIDATE REQUIREMENTS: Student eligibility for internship positions is limited to currently enrolled undergraduate college students who reside or attend college in Los Angeles County. Students must have completed at least one semester of college by June 1, 2017 or will complete their undergraduate degree between May 1-September 1, 2017 in order to be eligible to participate. Students who have already earned a BA, BS or a higher degree are not eligible. All college students regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, or disability who meet the above criteria are eligible to apply to participate in the Los Angeles County Arts Internship Program. Students invited to participate in the program must provide a copy of their college transcripts verifying undergraduate enrollment. Students who have previously participated in the Los Angeles County Arts Internship Program are not eligible to participate a second time. Applicant must be over 18 years of age, either residing in Los Angeles County or attending school in Los Angeles County. Must have car, current valid CA driver’s license, and be able to pass a background check. Candidates are welcome from all areas of undergraduate study and are not required to have demonstrated a previous commitment to the arts, but ideal candidate is currently pursuing courses toward a career in arts education or administration. Excellent interpersonal, verbal and writing skills required. Fluency with Mac OS X 10, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Social Media required. Familiarity with Word Press and FileMaker Pro preferred. Be organized, punctual, detail-oriented, and have the ability to multi-task. Experience in the arts (performing or visual arts) a plus. PLEASE REVIEW WEBSITE BEFORE YOU SEND RESPONSE (www.theatreofhearts.org ) then e-mail cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org NO CALLS PLEASE.
This internship is sponsored by the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors through the Los Angeles County Arts Commission. 132 undergraduate interns will participate in the program this year at more than 100 performing, presenting, and literary nonprofit arts organizations and municipal arts agencies throughout LA County. In addition to their full-time 10 week paid internship, interns will participate in educational events as part of the program, which is funded by the Getty Foundation. The educational events are designed to provide interns with a broader perspective of the vibrant arts and cultural landscape of the County. For additional information on the Los Angeles County Arts Commission, the Arts Internship Program, and for a complete list of all the internships offered this summer, visit the Arts Commission website at www.lacountyarts.org.
ASSISTANT PROGRAM COORDINATOR – full-time, non-exempt
A Career in Arts Education & Administration
Work in a creative environment at Theatre of Hearts/Youth First, a mid-size arts education non-profit organization. The Assistant Program Coordinator works closely with the Executive Director and Program Coordinator in all aspects of program design, progress and reporting.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Designing residency/lesson plans to align with Visual and Performing Arts (VAPA) and California Common Core State Standards (CCSS) with Professional Artist Mentors and school sites;
- Establishing time tables for residencies, workshops, performances, grant applications, and grant reports;
- Planning and facilitating meetings with program sites, Professional Artist Mentors, and funders/clients;
- Arranging collaborative program and funding meetings and advocating for the organization during those meetings
The Assistant Program Coordinator is responsible for:
- Recruiting Professional Artist Mentors and maintaining artist resource files;
- Maintain a working knowledge of VAPA and California CCSS;
- Setting meetings and appointments through the organization’s Master Calendar;
- Preparing grant proposals and reports, including reporting on grants with program assessments, evaluations, and data entry;
- Preparing and submitting invoices and time sheets;
- Assisting with organization events and PR, as needed;
- Representing the organization at arts education events
- Maintaining all platforms of social media and our website
The Assistant Program Coordinator must be/have:
- Reliable, honest, and a self-starter
- Excellent verbal, written, critical thinking and computer skills;
- Willing to travel to various sites in Los Angeles County;
- Detail-oriented and able to multi-task
- Excellent time management skills
- Previous experience in arts administration
- Proficient with Mac OS and MS Office applications
- A car, proof of insurance, valid Driver’s License
- BA Degree and/or equivalent professional experience in related field of study
- A Plus: Knowledge of File Maker Pro, Constant Contact, Social Media
Only serious candidates need apply. Please review the Theatre Of Hearts/Youth First website before sending a response: http://www.TheatreOfHearts.org
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
To Apply: E-Mail cover letter and resume with ATTN: Executive Director to email@example.com
If you would like to volunteer with us, please contact us and let us know how you would like to help!
*Please note that we currently cannot accept volunteers for teaching or working in our workshops on-site. Our Artist Mentors are paid contractors who are trained and qualified art professionals. If you are interested in applying to become an Artist Mentor, see our Call to Artists